farm journal: wednesday, july 30, week 18
morning 8:00-12:00 (late start because of comp time from distribution)
- harvested salad mix, herbs, and lettuce - some heads too small, important to choose only the biggest and pack them spaciously. lettuce growth is reaching a peak, downhill from here.
- helped at wash station; sent out wholesale list
- harvested and sorted tomatoes (standard & heirloom) from high tunnels. heirlooms need to be harvested before they are fully ripe to prevent them from going over before they’re distributed.
- kale, chard, scallions, salad mix and greens, eggplant, etc also harvested
- hoed flowers in S2C
- began hoeing next season’s strawberries
- harvested beans. important not to harvest haricot verts where the beans are starting to show or the pod is too big - then they’re too woody. romas need to be harvested when big and flat.
- packed RSA orders
- tb banded fertillizer on various crops, em seeding rutabegas?, ao cultivating
- harvested red gold potatoes on monday, 660 lb in one easy swoop. tb drove the case with a single-bed potato digger hooked up, the rest of us followed behind quickly sorting potatoes (took out very green potatoes) and filling 5 gallon buckets 90% up with taters. potatoes stored in yellow crates in corner of barn annex - stacked on a pallet, covered with a tarp to keep them out of sunlight. will be washed as needed.